Welcome to Team Tigers – Year 1
Staff in our class are
- Mr Donkin – Teacher
- Mrs Booth – Teaching Assistant (Mornings)
During the week with have the following activities…
- PE on a Wednesday and Thursday.
- Weekly spelling test on Thursday.
- Times tables and Jungle Maths (mental maths practice) every Friday.
- Daily phonic sessions.
- Chromebook lessons every other Thursday.
- Learning Challenge lessons focusing on a theme each term, on a Monday and Tuesday.
- Daily circle time where we play games and talk about our feelings.
- Key Stage One Good Work Assembly on a Friday afternoon.
Reading – Children take part in guided reading every day, where they complete a number of challenges throughout the week including phonics games and spelling activities. We try to read part of our class story every day and we enjoy spending time discussing the themes of the story and predicting what could happen next.
Home reading books are changed regularly on a Monday and a Friday. We really encourage reading at home every day and celebrate home reading by handing out certificates in our weekly Key Stage One assembly. Reading is part of your child’s homework and they have a challenge to read at least five times a week. Please do spend time listening to your child read and discussing their reading with them to help them improve their understanding and fluency. We would be grateful if you could then write a note and sign their planner to show they have read to you.
Homework – Homework is to read regularly at home, every night and to practice spellings every week. Sometimes, we will send home a project linked to our Learning Challenge theme.
Spellings – Spellings will be given out on a Thursday and tested the following Thursday. The spellings are take from either the Year 1 list of Common Exception Words or are linked to phonics spelling patterns.